"There's not much doubt in any of our minds that no complete idea springs fully formed from our brow,
needing only a handshake and a signature on the contract to send it off into the world to make twenty-five billion dollars.
The germ of the idea grows slowly..." - Walt Kelly

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

After all

Day Thirty: It's the last day, and also opposite day. Today's prompt is to try rewriting a poem with as many opposite words/phrases as possible. I chose Drinking Alone Beneath the Moon, by Li Po.

Away from the dead petals, myriad bottles of liquor.
There are many others here, and we pour it together.

Lowering our glasses, we curse the feeble sun,
and avoiding our reflections makes fewer enemies,

though the sun has always understood liquor,
and reflection seems to ever be one step ahead.

An irrelevant age bereft of sun and reflection,
we've lost a sadness that won't extract winter:

We mourn, and the sun stays still as death;
we sleep, and our reflections stitch back together.

Drunk, we're apart and miserable. Sober,
we grapple together in a shared distraction:

Separates for now, we're stayed and worried
and are missing anew in a small world's nearness.
_________________________________________________

I'd like to thank the folks at NaPoWriMo.net for another year of great prompts and other inspirations. Also, if you're looking for more, check with my friends at Roadmaps to Nowhere and I Bought the Flood. They've been on the poetry train with me all month, with excellent results.
_________________________________________________

Playing on my iTunes at this very moment:
Geographer, Kites

2 comments:

  1. How do you like being a freelance writer? I kinda wanna do something in the writing profession but I'm not sure what yet. I'm supposed to be studying for finals but instead I'm creeping on strangers blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought that was the whole point of the Internet anyway, so you're doing it right.

      I've been out of the freelance game for a few years now, but I can tell you that in order to make it worthwhile, you need to go all in. Basically, take on as many different projects as you handle. For me it wasn't feasible for a long time monetarily speaking, which is why I stopped.

      Good luck with whatever you decide to try your hand at! And, of course, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete