"There's not much doubt in any of our minds that no complete idea springs fully formed from our brow,
needing only a handshake and a signature on the contract to send it off into the world to make twenty-five billion dollars.
The germ of the idea grows slowly..." - Walt Kelly

Sunday, May 15, 2011

I'm not, I do

 
I'm not an eloquent man, but here's what I can say:

I fear the ghosts
of my own presence,
the ones who've left me lit
like an old lantern,
burning slow and dirty,
billowing acidity -
but you've been my
exorcist,
my means of escape,
my steady comparison
by which I finally know
how to measure myself.

I'm not an intelligent man, but here's what I do know:

This flickering hope
is far from dead, much
to my heavy thanks,
and those thanks extend,
of course, to you:
You who have opened my window
so that less harmful things
can fly their way in,
alight on my headboard
and warble uncertainties,
the fairest kind,
your fairest kindness.
_________________________________________________

Playing on my iTunes at this very moment:
Laura Marling, Tap At My Window

2 comments:

  1. Wow! There's a lot packed into this piece. I can't even pick a favorite line or two, each one is like a unique and shining bit of a total mosaic. really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant word play.
    you are real and smart,
    although at time you may not believe so.

    keep inspiring...

    ReplyDelete